Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Itching and the Sneezing...

Life in East Texas is great for the most part, except for this time of year. This evil yellow stuff appears and soon after the itching and the sneezy commences...

no matter what allegy medicine you take...

no matter how dutiful you are about taking your medicine correctly...

no matter that you try to stay inside and away from the evil yellow stuff...

all is for naught as the evil yellow stuff starts to fall.

It's Springtime in the PineyWoods and like a blanket of new fallen snow, the East Texas area is covered with a layer of the evil yellow stuff, also known as pollen.

I suppose it's the over abundance of pine trees that we have in this area, but my goodness, I can't even imagine how so much pollen exists. It covers everything...and I mean e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. When I get up to take the kids to school, I have to turn on my windshield wipers just to be able to see out the window to drive. All of the cars in town have a yellowish hue driving around...it would actually be pretty amusing, except for the itching and the sneezing that results.

So, I had been itching and sneezing for a couple of weeks and finally got myself to my doctor to renew my allergy prescriptions. It didn't surprise me in the least when he told me that this county that I live in ranks number 2 in the nation right now for allergens. NUMBER TWO in the nation for allergens. That's something to be proud of, right?

I think it's starting to get better because we finally had some good hard rain last week to wash a lot of it away and I figure that the trees have to eventually run out of pollen. At least I hope so! Here's a shot of the end of my driveway during the rain last week...yes, all of the evil yellow stuff floating on top of the water is POLLEN!!!



1 comment:

Christi said...

East Texas spring can be so much fun.

It could be worse, at least we have air conditioning and can clse the windows. At my mom's in Colorado, they get the yellow pollen. But because it doesn't get that hot, they don't have AC so they open the windows to keep it cool.